Wednesday, January 6, 2010

¡Felices Reyes Magos!

Hola! As some of you may already know, yesterday was a big day here in Spain. January 6th is when Spaniards celebrate the arrival of "Los Reyes Magos" or "the 3 Wise Men". Where I grew up (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) I was accustomed to receiving gifts on December 25th, so watching my 5 Spanish nieces and nephews tear open their new toys and games a full week into January is a bit strange.

My wife´s family celebrated with a cochinillo (a roast suckling pig) at my brother-in-law Angel´s house here in Plasencia. The first thing Angel said to me when we arrived: "You drink rum?"

The day was definitely off to a good start! Angel led me downstairs to the garden and directed me to his new pride and joy - his lemon tree. "You´re going to have to drink a few rum and cokes today because I don´t know what to do with all these lemons!" It quickly became apparent that he had lured me to the garden with the promise of alcohol just so he could show off his rather impressive gardening skills. After all, he is the owner of a gardening/landscaping business. And, while admiring fruit isn´t exactly high up on my list of favorite pastimes, I have to admit I was impressed. They were huge lemons, half of them bigger than your average grapefruit.

Anyway, below I leave you with a couple of "before" & "after" photos of a typical Spanish meat-feast. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment